About Dr. Gotvald MD, FACS, FSVS – Vein Surgeon, Board-Certified
Dr. Gotvald MD, FACS, FSVS, RPVI is a double board-certified vascular surgeon / vein surgeon who has dedicated his entire medical practice to treating vascular & vein diseases. One of his main areas of focus is the treatment of leg vein diseases, including varicose vein disease and spider vein disease. He has a particular interest in cosmetic vein treatments and resolving varicose veins with minimally invasive therapies, although he is an expert in all the different forms of vein diseases including blood clots. He treats venous disease located throughout the body, although vein disease most commonly involves the legs. He has been focused on the management of vein diseases throughout his entire career. He first became interested in vein diseases while studying gross anatomy in medical school. While doing his surgery residency in Houston he was inspired by the work of world-renowned surgeon Dr. Michael DeBakey and thus decided to become a vascular surgeon himself. Dr. Gotvald has been a practicing physician for 24 years.
Dr. Gotvald’s Vein Surgery Training Process
Dr. Joel Gotvald performed a dedicated residency training program in surgery in Houston for 5 consecutive years, where he developed the needed skills to become a dedicated vascular and vein surgeon. He then obtained sub-specialty training at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, where he spent his entire fellowship focused on the diagnosis and treatment of artery and vein diseases. This vascular surgery fellowship program included intensive focused procedure training on the latest vascular & endovascular therapies for arterial and venous diseases, including the use of lasers, ultrasound waves, catheters, and radiofrequency energy to treat vein conditions. He refined his skills through a full 11 years of formal university medical and surgical training prior to opening his practice. Dr. Gotvald has always maintained active medical and surgical board certifications. He is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery in General Surgery. He is board-certified by the Vascular Board of the American Board of Surgery in Vascular Surgery, the highest level of vein credentialing available. He is also has a certificate in Phlebology (vein disease management) and Lymphatic Disease management through the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine (ABVLM). He is very passionate in his pursuit to provide exceptional care to patients with vascular conditions. He attends seminars and medical education conferences annually to stay on the leading edge of vascular medicine.
Dr. Gotvald’s Medical Certifications
Dr. Gotvald has the highest levels of training & certification possible as a Vein Specialist and Vein Surgeon:
- Board-certified by the Vascular Board of the American Board of Surgery as a VASCULAR SURGEON. He completed a formal fellowship in Vascular Surgery at Baylor University Medical Center and Baylor Heart & Vascular Hospital in 2005 & 2006.
- Board-certified by the American Board of Surgery (ABS) as a General Surgeon. He completed a formal 5-year residency in General and Vascular Surgery in Houston.
- Certificate in Phlebology & Lymphatic Diseases by the American Board of Venous & Lymphatic Medicine (ABVLM).
- National Certification as a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) – the highest honorary for surgeons in the USA.
- Long-standing Fellow of the Society for Vascular Surgery (FSVS) – the highest standard in the USA for Vascular Surgeons.
- National Certification as a Registered Physician In Vascular Interpretation (RPVI) by the ARDMS
Dr. Gotvald’s Hospital Affiliations
Dr. Gotvald maintains active hospital privileges at the majority of the hospitals in Austin, Round Rock, and Cedar Park, Texas. He continues to actively see vascular consultations at the hospital. He also serves the local medical community by taking emergency room calls and managing vascular and vein emergencies at the local hospitals every month. He provided trauma surgery services for the vascular departments in Austin and Round Rock for many years. Dr. Gotvald currently has active hospital privileges at all of the St. David’s and Ascension Seton Hospitals in Austin, Heart Hospital of Austin, Dell Seton Medical Center, St. David’s Round Rock Medical Center, Cedar Park Regional Medical Center, and The Hospital at Westlake Medical Center. He is an active staff member and covers vascular emergencies and consultations for the Emergency Room and Intensive Care Units.
The following is a comprehensive list of where Dr. Gotvald has staff privileges:
- St. David’s North Austin Medical Center
- St. David’s Round Rock Medical Center
- St. David’s Medical Center
- St. David’s South Austin Medical Center
- Heart Hospital of Austin
- Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin
- Ascension Seton Northwest Hospital
- Ascension Seton Medical Center Williamson County (Round Rock, TX)
- Dell Seton Medical Center at the University of Texas
- Cedar Park Regional Medical Center
- The Hospital @ Westlake Medical Center
- Arise Austin Medical Center
- North Austin Surgery Center at St. David’s
- Oakwood Surgery Center at St. David’s
- Cedar Park Surgery Center
Dr. Gotvald’s Medical Society Memberships
Dr. Gotvald has been elected to the following medical & surgical societies due to his dedication to the treatment of vascular & vein diseases:
- Member of American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Distinguished active Fellow of the Society for Vascular Surgery (FSVS)
- Diplomate of the American Board of Venous & Lymphatic Medicine (ABVLM)
- Member of American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS Ultrasound)
- Member of Texas Medical Association
- Member of Travis County Medical Society
- Board-Certified by the American Board of Surgery
- Member of American Academy of Peripheral Vascular Disease
Dr. Gotvald’s Move to Texas
Dr. Gotvald moved to Texas in 1996 to pursue his medical career. He spent his first 5 years in Texas in Houston, at the UT Houston Medical Center complex. This included five years of surgery training at MD Anderson Cancer Center, Memorial Hermann Hospital, and St. Joseph Hospital (now acquired by Methodist Hospital). He then went onto do a dedicated blood vessel fellowship program in artery and vein disease management, known as a vascular surgery fellowship, at Baylor University Medical Center and the Baylor Heart and Vascular Hospital. There he refined his vascular and endovascular skills and became a board-certified artery and vein surgeon. He went on to open an independent vein and vascular treatment practice in 2006. He has been repeatedly voted a top doctor by both Austin Monthly and Texas Monthly magazines, including in 2022 & 2023. He has even been featured in the exclusive “Ask Super Doctors” articles of the Texas Monthly Top Doctors issues. Due to his expertise in the management of varicose veins and spider veins, Dr. Gotvald is a long-standing featured doctor on RealSelf.com as an expert panel member. He is the top-ranked Vascular Surgeon in the nation on HeathTap.com.
Decorated Surgeon of the United States Air Force, Distinguished Officer
Dr. Gotvald is a retired Major of the Air Force Medical Corps. He has a distinguished record of 13 years of military service, having served as a Surgeon and an Officer in the USAF. Dr. Gotvald has war-time medical service as a general surgeon/trauma surgeon and also performed vascular surgery while in the military. Joel Gotvald, MD has been awarded the national defense service medal, the global war on terrorism medal, and the meritorious service medal for war-time medical service. He received an honorable discharge after completing his active duty and reserve duty as a surgeon.
Dr. Gotvald has repeatedly been voted “Top Vein Doctor in Texas” and “Best Vein Doctor in Austin” by both Texas Monthly magazine and Austin Monthly magazine for many consecutive years. He was voted Top Vein Doctor in 2022 and 2023 by Castle Connolly Medical, the leading medical source for physician rankings for many consecutive years, including in 2021 and 2022. These awards are determined by a peer-nominated process as well as patient satisfaction scores. He is a distinguished member of the Society For Vascular Surgery (SVS) and the American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine.
Outside of Work
Dr. Gotvald is married to Pear Gotvald and he has 2 children who live in Austin. He has 3 brothers who reside in Nashville, TN, Seattle, WA, and Huntsville, AL. Dr. Gotvald enjoys spending time with family as well as travel, fitness, and being outdoors.
If you or someone you know is suffering from vein disease of the legs or body, please contact Dr. Gotvald for a consultation at (512) 220-5401.